Geographic coordinates of the municipality of Aranđelovac are determined between 44°12ʹ N and 20°25ʹ E (by Greenwich).
Aranđelovac lies 250 metres above sea level and is located beneath the northeast of Bukulja mountain (696 m of altitude) where the Kubršnica river has its springs. The municipality covers an area of 375,89 km² and has 48,000 inhabitants. Aranđelovac is 74 km far from Belgrade if reached by driving along the highway. It is 55 km far from Kragujevac, around 22 km from Mladenovac, 14 km from Topola and about 33 km from Lazarevac.
The town is situated in central Šumadija, surrounded by Bukulja and Venčac mountains. The remains of ancient cultures confirm that the life has developed continuously here since the Stone Age. A settlement called Vrbica, which later became town Aranđelovac, was first mentioned in 1753 as “Šanac Vrbica”, a community with 50 houses and 300 inhabitants.
The result of a Decree on settling in neighbouring villages issued in 1839 by prince Miloš was a town which at first was developing along left shore of the Kubršnica river towards Mladenovac and later towards mineral springs in Bukovik. Thus, Aranđelovac became typical road village developed out of villages Vrbica and Bukovik.
During his reign for the second time, prince Miloš promised to build the church dedicated to St. Archangel. He issued a Decree on August 1st 1859 where, among other things, he bespoke: “…may Vrbica be called Aranđelovac from now on.”
Today, an urban area has a long main street leading from the entrance to the town centre where Bukovička banja, an appealing spa resort within the park, covers an area of 24 ha.
Trade-and-craftwork area is protected as “stara čaršija” (arch. an old borough) and there are many restaurants, shops, cafés, pastry shops here. The street, named after its founder prince Miloš, connects two protected cultural-historical units – Spa park and Paleolithic museum in Risovača Cave.
Another protected unit, Orašac, is located at the entrance to the town.
In a peaceful part of the town and spa itself visitors can rest and stay in many spa facilities, hotels and private houses or villas for rent. Today, the park is the biggest European outdoor museum of sculptures which were made in the period of 45 years of symposium Beli Venčac. In the summertime, an open scene in the park is the place where many theater plays or traditional dances happen within the program of Mermer i zvuci festival. On the slopes of Bukulja, there is the Museum, villa Karadžić and a church. Pedestrian path and good asphalt road lead from the spa park towards the mountain top. On the other side of Bukulja there is a reservoir Garaši, an unspoilt paradise for true lovers of fishing.
Due to ideal climate and relaxing atmosphere in the town and spa, many sportsmen come here to do their training and prepare themselves for the upcoming matches. A lot of sports grounds, football pitches and tennis courts are at their disposal.
Geographic position in coalition with natural benefits have created favourable conditions for human settlement on Aranđelovac territory since the earliest times. One of the biggest local archaelogical discoveries is paleolithic Risovača Cave, located on the hill of the same name, east of Aranđelovac.
Risovača Cave was discovered in 1953. Plentiful and diverse archaelogical material was found there. The remains of the Old Stone Age cultures, belonging to the Lower Paleolithic period, so called Le Moustier culture (named after Le Moustier Cave located on the right bank of the Vezere in the Dordogne) were identified here. Weapons and tools made of chopped stone, furnished bones and fossils of the prehistoric animals have also been discovered next to an open fireplace in Risovača Cave. Likewise, on the territory of Aranđelovac in a village Banja there have been found cultures typical for the New Stone Age i.e. Neolithic period.
In ancient times, today’s Aranđelovac territory belonged to the Roman province Moesia Supeior – Upper Moesia.
In the Middle Ages this region was relatively densely populated and played a significant role in the medieval Serbian state almost until the fall of the Serbian Despotate.
This period saw the construction of two churches, in villages Brezovac and Bukovik. At the foot of mountain Venčac, in village Brezovac, there is one of the oldest medieval churches, the church of St. Archangel.
The church from the Nemanjić dynasty is situated at the foot of Bukulja mountain in Bukovik village.
A wooden church in Darosava was built in the period of 1832 – 1836.
In the Midle Ages modern Aranđelovac territory had Belgrade road leading from Belgrade through mountain Rudnik and the valley of the Gruža river to the town of Prizren.
According to the latest historical and geographical research, there were only two settlements on the territory of Aranđelovac registered in Turkish cadastral surveys of Smederevo Sandžak in 1516 and 1525, before 1559.
In 1516 there was only one village registered, Tulež, and in Turkish cadastral surveys of Smederevo Sandžak in 1525, before 1559, there were three settlements recorded on the territory of modern Aranđelovac: villages Tulež, Orašac and Bosuta. In the records, dating back to the period of Austrian occupation of Serbia (1718 – 1739), the following settlements have been mentioned: Darosava, Jelovik, Progoreoci, Ranilović, Tulež, which all belonged to Belgrade district and Vrbica, Misača, Stojnik, Kopljare, Vukasovci, Garaši, Lapin potok, a small village Vrbica and Trešnjevica within Kragujevac district.
Aranđelovac is a contemporary settlement. It was established when Prince Miloš Obrenović issued an order in 1837 on Vrbica territory, at the foot of Risovača hill, requesting the construction of the houses along both road and crossroad towards Belgrade, Kragujevac and Valjevo.
On July 17th 1859 Prince Miloš Obrenović issued a written decree in which he ordered that the church of St. Archangel should be built and decided that Vrbica should be renamed to Aranđelovac from then on. Traffic was developing alongside with the development and improvement of trade and economy during the reign of Prince Miloš Obrenović.
The beginning of the 20th century saw the introduction of a narrow gauge railway track servicing the route Mladenovac-Aranđelovac-Lazarevac. This significatly encouraged faster development of the town itself and its surroundings.
Until World War II, the economy of Aranđelovac had been based on agriculture, trade and craftwork.
Geological and petrographic structure of Aranđelovac territory has played a vital role in the development of industrial production regarding raw material supply (Mines and industries of marble and granite “Venčac”, Mines and industry of firebricks “Šamot”, Industry of electroporcelain “FEP”, Industry of electroceramics “Elka”, Company for production and processing of buiding materials “Kubršnica”, Company for production of final work materials in the construction “Karbon”).
Exploitation of mineral water from the springs of Bukovička banja as well as the production of soft beverages are particularly important activities for the overall economy on Aranđelovac territory.